- Guillermo Barros Schelotto will be back in Columbus to help the Crew defend their title next year. Great move, hopefully it will keep a few other familiar faces in C-Town in '09.
- Some of the expansion groups are having issues with the $40 million price tag on MLS expansion. Supposedly everyone but Ottawa has had some sort of issue with the price, and the tag is why Montreal is no longer being considered. I hope MLS decides to take the best bids, and not the biggest wallets.
- Miami wants in, and they want in now. Their bid is contingent on starting in 2010, not 2011. If everything is in place, I think MLS will go with it because they want Barcelona's name and cache in the league. Barca seems extremely confident of getting in, so we'll see...
- The 2009 season will kick off with New York visiting the new Seattle Sounders 3.0 on a Thursday night in front of the ESPN cameras. Should be a good showcase for the Sounders fans...
- Philadelphia broke ground on their new stadium this week. I can't wait to see them get into the league, they could be high on my list of hated teams right away after seeing the SoB's attitude at MLS Cup in '07. They're sure to become a rival for DC pretty quick anyway.
- The San Jose Sharks completed a long rumored deal to join the Earthquakes ownership group. Sharing marketing and sales staffs definitely will be a good thing.
- How many guys will be leaving MLS in the January transfer window? No, I'm not talking about Donovan and Becks leaving for a few months (although Landon might be going for good). I'm talking about the next tier of guys like Joe Cannon, Michael Parkhurst, Chad Marshall, etc. Will the Scandanavian leagues come in and clean up? MLS is in a weird spot salary wise with a bit of an undefined middle class. You have the top guys like the DP's, and the developmental youngsters, but the middle is all over the place. For those guys, it's often a better financial deal to go overseas. Look at Troy Perkins last year. How many will go this offseason?
December 3, 2008
Sprinkles: Random Thoughts
Posted by Longshoe at 10:43 AM