July 1, 2008

Must read: The artistry/gambling of Marcello Gallardo

Go read now.

This is one of the best things I've read in a long time, and definitely one of the most thought provoking.

I've always been a member of Team Marcello. That's not to say I disliked Christian Gomez. Gomez was a great player for DC United, always playing with a great deal of passion and scoring many huge goals. I'll always remember the goal against Chivas USA in '06 after the US-Italy World Cup match. We stuck around at the Brewhouse, drained after the game with the Italians, and all went nuts after Gomez's incredible move and volley.

Gallardo is just a completely different player. Where I'll remember Gomez for the goals, I always think in terms of the great passes from Gallardo. I agree with D from the DCenters, he takes a lot of chances. Sometimes, he probably should just keep it simple. However, I think you're starting to see these beautiful gambles pay off now. Other players are starting to tune into to Marcello's wave length. Where Gomez can fit into a strong team, I think Gallardo is the type of player that can truly make those around him better. I think he can lift a team to another level.

What I've noticed is that the partnership with Clyde Simms and Gallardo is starting to improve. Where Simms looked confused at Gallardo dropping deep to receive the ball before, now he's starting to overlap and take the space that's been created. The development of Simms over the last couple of seasons is really starting to pay off. The wings are also able to release quicker if Gallardo drops deep, and they're also starting to realize this.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing. I hoped it wouldn't take this long for the pieces to fit, but it all might be worth it in the end. Remember, DC has Superliga starting up in a couple of weeks, and the CONCACAF Champions League in the fall. They could be primed for a fun 2008...

No comments: