July 1, 2008

Rolling out on streamers

I've been waiting to see how this plays out...

Throwing streamers at the opposing team has become the cool thing to do at soccer games in the US. Why? I'm not sure, but it opened a dangerous door. American soccer fans used be upset about things being thrown at our national team players in Central America, now American soccer fans are throwing streamers, beers, etc. at opposing players.

Now that we've had some dangerous incidents, the clubs are starting to crack down. The Crew have come out and said that anyone who throws ANYTHING on the field will be ejected. This has led to some people saying that they won't go to games now.

Last time I checked, you went to the game TO WATCH YOUR TEAM PLAY SOCCER, NOT THROW THINGS ON THE FIELD. I love the chanting, I love the singing, I love the drums, I love the atmosphere. However, is the act of throwing streamers on the field really needed to create that atmosphere? I thought making noise was really important, do these streamers make noise as they fall onto the field?

I just don't get it.

No comments: