- Drew Moor couldn't mark a traffic cone. Johnny Magallon?!? Twice?!?
- Bobby Convey, where have you gone? I don't know who that guy was in your jersey tonight, he did absolutely nothing.
- A note to some fans in the bar, the "referee is a bastard" chant was funny the first time, at least a little funny. It wasn't the least bit funny the 10th time. "Get a new chant, table 3" however, was quite funny. Well played.
- Thanks for taking 20 minutes to find a suitable replay to explain why Dempsey's goal was called back. I wasn't happy with the referee (although I've seen way worse), but I thought he was drunk until I saw the replay right before the second half kickoff showing Deuce a step offside.
- Landon Donovan was completely neutered in the second half. That's the danger of playing him wide, he's a lot easier to mark out of a game out there.
- Jozy and Deuce had no rhythm together, they kept making the same runs.
- That said, Jozy did quite well for his first 90 minutes at this level. Me likey, especially with the sweet header to take the lead.
- If we can get Gooch and Marvell Wynne on the field together, they could just keep throwing the ball in from sideline to sideline.
- Outside backs, the audtions start tomorrow.
- Pretty even game overall, although I'd have to give the overall edge to Mexico. They had so much more possession in midfield, even if they really didn't test Howard that much.
- Was anybody else slightly freaked out about the close up shot of Timmy's ticks?
- Considering he's barely played lately, Benny Feilhaber looked pretty damn good. He was the best of the holding midfield quartet tonight.
- Mr. Adu did pretty well, earning a dangerous free kick to close out the match.
- I was begging for a schemer to come into play late in the second half, I think it would've helped us in midfield. Feilhaber could've slid out to the right, with Donovan coming inside to play behind Adu and Jozy. We just needed some sort of change at that point (65"+) because Mexico had figured us out.
- Rafa Marquez had quite the strategy of defending Jozy, just fall down. It worked. Sad.
- Gio Dos Santos used the same strategy in the offensive half when he came on. It worked. Sad. I guess it's taught at the highest levels at Barca these days.
February 7, 2008
Longshoe's Birthday Celebration Soaked Thoughts on US v. Mexico
In no particular order...
Posted by Longshoe at 1:22 AM