June 14, 2007

Wow, thanks for all the hits


Really, it makes my ego expand. Not really, but, you know.

I guess people have been waiting for my "official" response. But you know, I don't have one, and I don't really care. I'm just going to wing it on this one. It just shows that we (and I should say we, as both Shoe and I are in agreement with what's going on and who would be the best choice for the next Silverbacks coach) have our detractor and many supporters.

Anyone can write what they want, that's fine. I just don't understand how some people can go so over the top. Well, if you know where the main source is coming from, it's a little easier to understand. But that's being biased, something I'm trying not to be.

I'm angry. I've invested a lot of money and time into this team over the last few years, yet I'm not getting a return on that money. I'm sick of settling for mediocrity, which obviously some people aren't. They don't mind if the Silverbacks finish dead last as long as a family member is coach of the team. I guess that's the key to not being held accountable.

I've never said anything that has been a personal attack on anyone, despite what you might read on the Silverbacks board. I've met Jason Smith before and talked to him, he's a nice guy. I have no problem with him personally. I just have a problem with one of the best rosters in the league being in 10th place right now.

So thanks for the support and reading everyone. I'm just glad that we can reach some people and filling a void by having a soccer blog in Atlanta.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I guess you are saying that since Smith put the Silverbacks Roster together, He is good at it and that he be given the post as GM of the team and then hire someone to coach the team?

Longshoe said...

The roster isn't perfect (why did a center mid have to switch to right back right before the season started?), but I do think it has more quality than an Atlanta team has had since 1995. I've heard a few people say that the last playoff team was better, but I don't think so.

The roster has more quality than their play on the field has shown, in my opinion. If that means someone else should coach them to see if they can get more out of them, so be it.

Anonymous said...

I think he has a player to fill that right back slot but he is waiting on paperwork. For some reason that is a slow process.

Longshoe said...

I hope so. I know that was Justin Moore's original position (and where he played with FC Dallas last year), but I guess he didn't like what he saw there during the preseason. I think Tony has done as good a job as he possibly can in that spot, but you can tell he isn't comfortable.

We really miss McManus in the middle of the field too, he was one of the best defensive midfielders in the league last season.

If it's an international clearance issue, that can drag on for a while. It all depends on what country the player is registered with, and if the club wants to fight giving up his rights. I hope it works out...

Anonymous said...

hello? hello? (tapping on monitor glass)

did you lose my post yesterday? or just not approve it (gosh, you guys are strict)?

Maybe I should mind my own business back at USLForums.

- Viking

Longshoe said...

Viking-

I approve all the comments, I never got one from you yesterday. Go back and read through all the other comments on other posts, I don't discriminate or edit them...

Sorry I didn't get yours, please resend it.

Longshoe said...

Was that the new right back playing in the center tonight?

Anonymous said...

No big deal. I just commented that the fact that Josh Smith tore his ACL in the last day of pre-season matches was probably instrumental to the last minute position switching of McMannus (moving Moore to the midfield).

-Viking

Longshoe said...

You're right, that could have had a hand in it. Wouldn't it have made more sense to shift McManus (or someone else) to an outside mid spot and keep Moore in his usual position? By shifting McManus to right back and Moore to right mid, then you have two players playing outside their usual spots.

Let's not even get into the early season experiments of playing Rodrigo on the left while Buete stayed in the middle. Buete has done alright in the middle of the midfield, but I think one of the major issues of the midfield is not having that defensive tenacity that McManus added last year.