May 25, 2007

MLS Weekend Preview

SATURDAY
New England-Kansas City, 6:30 ET (DK)
The Revs are on a seven game unbeaten run, and I don't see it ending at the Razor against the Wiz. KC had scored a solid draw at the Big Dick last weekend, but will be missing Jimmy Conrad and Scott Sealy due to injury this week. Taylor Twellman (and probably Waldo too) is licking his lips.
New England 2, KC 0

Columbus-Toronto, 7:30 (DK)
The Crew were shockingly blown out in the Swamp last weekend, while Toronto's winning streak was ended by DC United. I felt bad for Sigi and the Village People, they really didn't play too badly against the Red Bulls. They owned the first half, with the exception of the great scoring sequence by NY. Columbus just needs somebody to start putting the ball in the net, I think everything else is there for success. As for the Reds, they traded for Jeff Cunningham this week. I wonder how he'll pair with Danny Dichio, I'm not so sure it will work.
Columbus 1, Toronto 0

DC-Houston, 7:30 (HDNet)
DC actually looked like DC for long periods last weekend in Toronto. Houston is still trying to figure out what happened against the Revs last week. I thought the Colorado win a couple of weeks ago had snapped the Dynamo out of their funk, but I was wrong. Two losses last week were tough for the Orange Crush, and then CONMEBOL decided to invite DC to the Sudamericana instead of Houston. It could be an angry bunch of Tangerines at RFK this weekend. United will be without Jaime Moreno, as he's with the Bolivian national team for their friendly against Ireland. The impressive rookie Guy Roland-Kpene will start in his place.
DC 2, Houston 2

Colorado-LA, 8:30 (DK)
The Gals have only won one game this year?!? I've heard so much about them all year that I had totally forgotten their sorry record. Becks can't show up soon enough. The Rapids surprised me by only drawing with KC last weekend. I'm still impressed with them though, I think their wide midfielders could give LA fits.
Colorado 2, LA 1

Chivas USA-Dallas, 10:30 (FSC)
The Goats got a point out of their Clasico with LA last weekend, while the Hoops won two last week. They're on top of the Western table, but I'm not sold on Dallas yet. The Lizard King and his other Riders on the Storm will have a tough one on the road this week, Chivas has only lost once at the Home Depot Center this year (and that was as the road team in the first SuperClasico). I don't know if Dallas has anyone on the backline who can hang with Maykel Galindo's speed.
Chivas 3, Dallas 1

SUNDAY
Chicago-Salt Lake, 5:00 (TeleFutura)
The Fire don't have long to shake off a miserable loss in New York, they'll be back in action on two days rest. Salt Lake lost a heartbreaker in Dallas last weekend, and are still looking for their first win under Jason Kreis. I'm guessing it was Kreis who masterminded the trade for Alecko Eskandarian, I'm sure he could relate to Esky's scrappy style of play. Maybe that's what RSL needs, I'm not sure. A new goalkeeper sure wouldn't hurt too. Could they be clearing cap space (Kreis' retirement, shipping Tejada out of town, trading Cunningham's larger contract) for a run at Kasey Keller?
Chicago 1, RSL 1

No comments: