March 29, 2007

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust

The Mariners are no more, according to The Virginian-Pilot. The club has "ceased operations" and the season is over. What does this mean for the rest of the USL D-1? Things are sure going to be busy in Tampa in the offices today, eh? This looks really bad for the league, I hope they can solve the problem quickly.

I feel awful for the fans in Virginia Beach, I've been in their situation and it sucks.

I feel awful for the staff, as I've also gone through that and can relate.

I feel awful for the players, who have to try to find other jobs and/or teams at this late stage. It looks like a couple might land with Carolina. I'd expect Richmond in D-2 to get some calls as well.

EDIT: In an updated version of the story, the league says, "We are left with no other option but to remove the (Mariners) from the schedule effective immediately." How does the schedule get balanced now? Are we just going with a 26 game schedule?

EDIT DOS: Here's the letter from the USL to the Mariners' staff and players.

No comments: