November 7, 2007

Josh Gros: Long May He Run

For all of my time supporting DC United, I only have two jerseys with a name on them. They're both Josh Gros jerseys. I hate that he's going to have give up the game due to the repeated concussions he's been suffering from this season.

One of the kids I coach was asking why my DC jersey had Gros on the back instead of Moreno or Gomez. I tried explaining it to him, but I don't think I really got it right. I love to watch guys like Jaime or Christian display the unbelievable skills that they possess. However, I have the utmost respect for a player who doesn't have those types of skills, but earns his place due to old fashioned "busting your ass" type of play for the team. Josh Gros had that and then some.

There's also the fish hook tactic he used in an altercation with Preki once, but I don't think that's a good example for the kiddies.

I'm glad that I got to see a guy like Gros live out his dream. He won some titles (MLS Cup 2004, 2 Supporters' Shields) and even earned a cap with the national team against Mexico early this year. I was so excited to be able to wear my Gros jersey to the Brewhouse for the game, the guy just flat out deserved the recognition to play with his national team. I'm also glad that I was able to see him play in person, when he surprisingly came back to play against the Revs this year when we made our trek up to RFK.

So, congratulations to Josh Gros on a successful career. I'm sure it wasn't as long as he would've hoped for, but it was filled with a great set of accomplishments and honors. I hope he can find the same success in whatever he chooses to do off the field.

Thanks for the memories Josh!

NOTE: I blatantly stole the title from a comment made by "anonymous" on D's great Gros post over at DCenters. Thanks "anonymous"!

No comments: