May 27, 2007

I guess they needed to summon someone from the stands...

I'm starting to realize that on the weekends, my moods are determined by how well my teams play. It's not a good trait to have, but there's nothing I can do about it. I've accepted it, even though I was warned about it months ago.

I stopped seeing a girl because she didn't like me going to the Brewhouse and said that she didn't want to be around me after any Arsenal loss. I don't mind the second one, but the first one is a complete dealbreaker.

So Saturday was one of those days, because I had spent all day Friday dreaming about 3 teams from Atlanta playing in the US Open Cup and looking forward to getting another 3 points in Charleston.

Despite the warm hospitality shown to us by our hosts before, during and after the game, the play on the field ruined it for me. I saw nothing out of the Silverbacks that makes me believe this team can contend for the title.

Perhaps they needed to look a few rows up from where we were sitting and call down El Pibe. Yep, Carlos Valderrama was at the game, as he's playing in a local tournament with an O-40 team.

Hey, I wouldn't believe it either. I didn't notice him, but there is photographic evidence. It's not as hard as Where's Waldo, so you can find him.

I had been waiting all day to find out how the Silverbacks U-23's did, as they needed a victory in North Carolina to advance to the US Open Cup.

About the time we hit Columbia, Shoe calls me to tell me they drew 0-0. A good result for the Baby Backs, but considering that a win was all I wanted, it's a disappointment. Central Florida takes the spot, as only a draw, not a victory from either team, was the result they needed.

I had hoped for another miracle in Browns Summit, a la the 3rd round of the 2004 Cup courtesy of the senior team, but it was not to be.

I did get a little bit of good news, as I was woken on the ride home by Shoe to tell me that Chivas USA played very well and picked up the 2-0 win at home over FC Dallas. A small consolation on a day of disappointment.


And today? Well, mi Motril picked up the fourth and final classification spot for the promotion playoffs in the Spanish Fourth Division by beating 3rd place Poli Ejido B 2-0 this morning. For those who don't know, this is the team from my hometown in Spain, where I lived for 8 months and attended over 20 games. They were one game away from being promoted to the Segunda B last season before falling to Villanovense.

And Sevilla has just defeated Zaragoza 3-1 to keep their title chances alive. A much better Sunday than Saturday.

No comments: